Thank you for attending this year’s Oregon City Chamber of Commerce Dinner. We hope you had a great time and we certainly enjoyed catering the event. Below are the recipes for the entree items we offered this year modified to accommodate your family or weekend party:
Risotto with Shitake Mushrooms
Risotto is a creamy rice dish made with Arborio rice. Here, this ﬂavorful risotto is ﬂavored withShiitake mushrooms, onion, garlic, wine, and garlic. The simple ﬂavor is fantastic withoutneeding heavy cream or lots of cheese. When serving risotto, make sure that it is ﬂuid andcreamy, not dry and stiff – when placed on a plate that is shaken side to side, risotto shouldspread and move.Ingredients2 cups Arborio rice2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided1 small onion, diced3.5-oz pkg shiitake mushrooms, chopped (8 mushrooms, ~ 1 1/2 cups chopped)1 clove garlic, crushed or 1 cube frozen Crushed Garlic1/2 cup dry white wine4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable) + 1 cup water1 sprig fresh rosemaryParmesan cheese (OPTIONAL)Instructions1) In a saucepan, add broth and water and bring to a simmer.2) Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan or deep skillet over high heat. Add onion and saute until onionbegins to soften (~3 minutes), lowering heat to medium.3) Add mushrooms and garlic, stirring and cooking for 1-2 minutes until mushrooms are soft.
4) Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and add rice, stirring well. Continuing stirring and cooking for 3-4 minutes, allowing rice to toast.5) Add wine and stir until absorbed.6) Ladle in 1 cup of broth and add rosemary, stirring. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer.Continue to add broth in 1-2 ladle increments, regularly stirring and allowing liquid to bemostly absorbed before adding more. All the liquid will be absorbed over the course of 20minutes cooking time.7) When cooked, the rice should be al dente and the risotto should be ﬂuid and smooth.Add more broth or water if necessary. Garnish with Parmesan and serve immediately
Orecchiette With Spicy Sausage
12 ounces orecchiette pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 spring onions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced, plus more for topping2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
Freshly ground pepper
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the spring onions and cook until softened, about 3 more minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook until they soften slightly, about 3 more minutes.
Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add the broth to the skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the pasta and cheese, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls, drizzle with olive oil and top with more cheese and spring onions.
Seco de pollo
Seco de pollo or seco de gallina is a South American chicken stew cooked slowly in a sauce of beer, onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, herbs and spices.
6 lbs of assorted chicken pieces
4 tbs oil
2 red onions, quartered
1⁄2 red onion, minced for refrito
10 whole garlic gloves plus 4 minced garlic cloves 2 tsp ground achiote or annatto
4 cups of beer
8 tomatoes, quartered
3 bell peppers, quartered
1 hot pepper (jalapeno or serrano)
1 bunch cilantro, reserve some to add at the end 1 bunch parsley, reserve some to add at the end 1 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend the beer, quartered onions, whole garlic cloves, tomatoes, bell peppers, hot pepper, cilantro, parsley, oregano and cumin to obtain a smooth puree.
- In a large saucepan or soup pot heat the oil over medium heat to prepare a refrito or sofrito, add the minced red onion, minced garlic and achiote, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and brown lightly on each side, add the blended puree mix
- Cook on low heat until the chicken is very tender and the sauce has thickened. Unless it’s ahen, the chicken should be tender in less than 1 hour. However it takes longer for the sauce to thicken, so if the chicken is very tender – meat falling of the bones – and the sauce isn’t thick yet, then remove the tender chicken pieces, turn up the heat and cook the sauce until it’s nice and thick, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the remaining cilantro and parsley.
- Serve with arroz amarillo or yellow rice and fried ripe plantains. Can also be served withavocado slices, whole potatoes sauteed in butter and a small salad.
We hope you had a great time at the OregonC city Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner. For more recipes and great ideas for catering and bakery items please visit our website.